Around thirty large sculptures belonging to the famous sculpture collection of Ca’ Pesaro are arranged in a completely new itinerary that enhances formal values and novel combinations.
The exhibition winds its way through the lavish area of Longhena’s entrance hall on the ground floor and the monumental second floor – over one thousand square metres of outstanding architectural value and light quality – recently returned to their use as a museum area, finally making it possible to exhibit works that have been inaccessible to the public for ages.
On the second floor, the diverse, stimulating relations between the sculptures and paintings are of particular interest – starting with the grandiose frieze by Giulio Aristide Sartorio, the Cycle of Life created for the Italian Pavilion at the 1907 Biennale and other canvases that are no less important – in a continuous study of comparison and dialogue between languages and expressive forms.
Curated by Silvio Fuso, Matteo Piccolo, Giandomenico Romanelli and Cristiano Sant, the exhibition is both the perfect example of recreating museum space and its arrangements, and the first date in Ca’ Pesaro’s 2010 programme, one that is almost exclusively dedicated to sculpture.
In September, Forms of the Modern will be followed by a vast retrospective dedicated to the Englishman Tony Cragg (Liverpool, 1949, Golden Lion at the ’88 Biennale), and a valuable study on the drawings by Arturo Martini, which will be installed in the museum area dedicated to research and study proposals, in Room 10 on the first floor.